Friday, March 20, 2009

A long scary 5 days

In my first post I mentioned that we had an appointment in Philly on Monday to further evaluate Kali's issues. The first test I had was a repeat level 2 ultrasound. During the ultrasound the tech checked my cervical length (once your cervical length gets extremely short you begin to dilate). A normal length is 3-4 cm. At my last appointment, when I ended up on bedrest at home, mine was 1.4 cm. Monday it was 0.4cm and starting to dilate. The docs in Philly felt as though labor was starting and I needed to be in the hospital ASAP. The doc felt as though Kali could come in hours to a week if labor wasn't stopped. He told me to expect to be hospitalized until her birth. Which , with any luck, could be in June. Mike asked him if there was any way to get me closer to home so I could have the support of my family and friends to get me through this.
The doctor felt that it would be ok for me to get to Hershey Medical Center and that I could deliver there and then transfer her to CHOP when she is bigger, healthier, and ready for her heart surgery. Also Philly discovered that there are no esophagus issues with her. Only issue is her heart.
We made it to HMC in about 2 hours and I was given Mag Sulfate through an IV to stop the labor. It worked but it made me feel like I was run over by a truck in the process, well worth it to keep my baby girl inside a little longer. HMC also discovered that I dilated 3cm from Philly to there.
The next day we were given hope that if my uterus stayed quiet I would be able to leave by the end of the week. So after 5 long days and 4 long nights in HMC I was able to come home today, with strict orders to stay off my feet and to return for frequent appointments.
Thank you to all those who knew that I was there. Your thoughts and prayers is what got me through. Please continue to pray for us as we are not out of the woods yet. Our goal is for me to stay pregnant until at least 34 weeks, I am only going to be 27 weeks tomorrow.
I will keep updating as my condition allows. Unfortunately if I end up back in the hospital I will most likely be there until the end and they do not have wireless Internet access for patients. I updated my Facebook status from my cell phone....I can't wait to see that bill!
Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment