Sunday, April 19, 2009

A good day??

I am afraid to say it! I don't want to jinx that little girl, but she has had a very good day today. She is still critical but stable (sounds like an oxymoron). Her oxygen levels have been good, her blood pressure has been alright, her heart rate is staying right where it should be. They have been able to make adjustments to her ventilator in a positive way. Hopefully they will be able to wean her off of some of the drugs they have running through her tiny body.
I am hoping that she maintains this or improves even more over night. She deserves a break for once! The constant up and down of her levels aren't a good thing. I just hope that it is not having an effect on her long term prognosis.
The cardiologist was by today while I was visiting. He did an echo on her tiny little heart. I have come to the conclusion that I will stop paying attention to what they have to say until they know what they heck they are talking about. It seems the only way we will get a concrete diagnosis on her heart condition is when they do a heart cath, which won't be for a while yet. The only thing we know for sure is that her aorta, which they had initially thought was too narrow, is perfectly fine. We also know that her left ventricle is smaller than it should be, but of course they can't say if it's too small for its job, or if it can handle what it needs to do. These docs seem to leave me with my head spinning.
For now we are going to focus on the problems that need immediate attention-her esophagus and duodenum. The heart is stable and can be treated medically until she is big enough for whatever it is that they need to do.
Hopefully this week she stabilizes completely so they can test the connection of her esophagus and we can move onto the next step of surgery.
I will keep you all updated on what goes on! Pray that this little chick stays strong!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am amazed by the spirit and fight in this beautiful child! Sending her love, strength and prayers!

    Jillian (Yuku)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for your sweet girl and your family. Our tiny premies are stronger that we can imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey,
    She's beautiful! I think of all of you every day. She's so strong, it's just amazing-you all keep the faith. love, Jenn and boys.
    ps-happy birthday to marissa.

    ReplyDelete