Thursday, April 16, 2009

One down....not sure how many more to go


Today was huge! Kali had her first surgery and it was a great success. As the doctor put it "she did amazingly well". When a little baby shocks surgeons who have seen it all it proves just how strong of a fighter she is.
First, this morning she was baptized. Her "real" baptism will take place when she is home and recovered, but it was really important to us that she have it done now.
This afternoon we walked our baby girl to the doors of the operating room. They let me kiss her for the first time before she went in (and Grammy got to too). Mike is a little hesitant to touch her but she knows her Daddy is there. I seriously didn't know if it was the last time I'd see her. Her eyes were wide open and it seemed as though she was looking right at me as the wheeled her away. It was, without a doubt, the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.
But the little girl pulled through! Her surgery lasted 2 hours and 5 minutes. They closed the connection between the trachea and esophagus and also continued on and connected the two parts of her esophagus. They decided not to fix her duodenum because they didn't want to push their luck. She was doing so well that they were afraid that if they pushed too hard and continued with 2 more hours under anesthesia it would do more harm then good.
So the plan now is to wait a week. They will then do a test to check for leaks in her esophagus. If there aren't any then they will schedule her next surgery, which will repair her duodenum.
The next few days are going to be rough as she recovers from this big surgery. They are expecting some set backs but so far so good (I know it's only been a few hours since her surgery but I can't help but be optimistic!!).
As I always ask that you please continue to pray for her continued recovery!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear surgery went well. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you daily. My girls love her hair! She is sooo cute!! Everyone at work asks for updates daily. We are all here for you. We miss you!
    Karen D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey!
    I just found out about your blog today.... of course no one in this family tells me anything! Kali is absolutely gorgeous; even with the ETT you can see how pretty she is. I am so glad the surgery went well. I put Barbara on the case and told her she's on Kali duty until she's able to leave the hospital :). Hope you are hanging in there, I am sure it's so hard for you and Mike. Thinking about you guys and sending lots of good karma and prayers Kali's way. Can't wait to meet her in person!! Take care of yourself!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all rooting and praying for Kali - she is sooo adorable! We miss you at work! I am so glad her 1st surgery went well!
    Theresa P.

    ReplyDelete