Saturday, April 18, 2009

The ups and downs in NICU


The last two days have been the worst roller coaster ride of my life. After having such great news on Thursday we have just had more set backs then expected, at least more than I expected. The surgeon said she would probably be "sick" as she recovers. She definitely proved him right. Her oxygen levels go up and down, her heart rate and blood pressure are right there with it. This tiny little 2 pound baby has more drugs running through her system than I have had in my entire life. How can someone so tiny handle this?
She is a feisty little girl though. Even with continuous pain medicine to help keep her "sedated" she is bouncing all over the place. I don't think anything can hold her down. She is amazing.
These last 8 days have been tiring; physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausting. I can only imagine how this tiny child feels.
The picture I posted with this entry is her in her french fry warmer. I hope you can see the bright orange on the side of her head (I think if you can enlarge the picture by clicking on it). Those are "sound mufflers". She has extremely noisy neighbors who love to cry...sometimes in sync, and it irritates the heck out of her. The sound mufflers were courtesy of the Life Lion crew. She really looks like she belongs on a helicopter, or at least on the landing pad directing them how to land.

No comments:

Post a Comment