Sunday, April 12, 2009

She's here!


I feel like I jinxed myself. I wrote my last post the night before it all happened. To think that I was worried about having to spend endless weeks in the hospital on bed rest. What I wouldn't give for that to be the case.
On Wednesday the 8th at 8:10 am my water broke. At first I thought I was peeing my pants. I felt the gush of water. I looked at my husband, who was laying on the couch next to where I was standing, and said "Oh my God my water just broke". I immediately began to cry. I cried because I knew it was over and I didn't think it was fair. I wasn't ready and I knew the baby wasn't ready. The best thing for her was to be inside my belly, not out in this world where anything could go wrong.
So I called my doctor and my mom. Mike called our sister in law to come and get the kids and then called 911. The hospital is 25 minutes from my house and with my history of fast labors, I didn't want to deliver a sick baby on the side of the road.
We got to the hospital at 9am. I was sure that by the end of the day I would have had my baby. The doctor checked my cervix and I was only 4 cm dilated and was not having any contractions. Right after writing my orders the doctor had to go into an emergency c-section. While he was gone the nurses started Mag Sulfate through my IV. I was very confused because that medicine is usually used to stop labor and I thought once my water broke I had to deliver within 24 hours to prevent infection.
After the c-section was done the doctor came back and explained to me that the medicine wasn't being given to me to stop labor. He said while it is used for that and other pregnancy related issues, he was giving it to me as an experimental treatment for the baby. There are recent studies that show that preemies whose mother's receive Mag shortly before birth are at lower risk for cerebral palsy.
My contractions never started so I was told that as long as my contractions didn't start on their own or that the baby and I didn't show signs of infection they would keep me pregnant until I was 34 weeks. I got prepared to stay in the hospital for the next 4 weeks.
On Thursday night at 9:15 I started having horrible back pain and stomach cramps. I called for the nurse and was placed on the monitor. I called Mike and told him to come back to the hospital. They then became 5 minutes apart and I was taken back to the delivery unit. When the contractions got to every 3 minutes I asked for an epidural.
After 2 attempts, the jerk finally got the epidural in. I didn't feel most of the contractions. I only felt them in the left lower side of my belly. After about an hour the doc came back in to check my cervix and said that I was completely dilated and about to crown. She told me not to cough, sneeze, or push until the NICU team arrived. After they arrived I pushed 3 times and she was in the world. She was born 10 weeks and 2 days early.
Unfortunately the esophagus issues that we thought were ruled out actually do exist. She has a tracheoesophageal fistula (her windpipe and bottom portion of her esophagus are connected). This makes it hard for them to keep her stable on the vent. The doctor this morning said that she actually wouldn't even need the vent if she didn't have the esophagus issue. I just got off the phone with her nurse and she said she is very stable right now, however that can change from hour to hour but it feels so good to hear those words. She also has something called a duodenal atresia. Basically with that nothing can leave her stomach through the bowel. It comes back up through her esophagus, which is dangerous because it can then get into her lungs. For that they had to put in a "g-tube". It is tube in her belly that lets the excess air out. Since that has been but in it has been good.
Her heart is a mess but is the least of their worries right now. Right now they want her stable enough to fix the esophagus and her duodenum. She is not allowed to eat so all of her nutrition is through her IV.
This little girl has a hard road ahead but is a fighter. She has a lot to fight for. There are people all over the world that love her and are praying for her to win.

I will post updates when I can, but please continue to pray!


5 comments:

  1. Tracey we are praying for Kali and for you. Praise God she is doing well. She is a strong little girl and blessed to have you as her mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey, we are thinking of you and praying for Kali and your family. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. God bless you! Amy Weible and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tracey, Mike, Darrin and Marrisa,
    Our prayers are with you and Kali. You know if need anything at all just call and we will do what ever we can to help you out. That is what family is for. I pray for Kali all day long.
    Love You,
    Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracey and Mike,
    I wish we were closer to you so we could help out with Darrin and Mirrisa and with whatever else you might need (a home cooked meal maybe)-everyone here in SC is praying for all of you. We love and miss you guys!!
    Aunt Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey tracy and mike; i've been praying for you and the family.if you need me i;m here to help' you know i love you guys,, you are part of my family,she she beautyful..i will pray alot

    ReplyDelete